1. Lose weight. Obesity is the main purpose of GERD, Dr. Vaezi says. Extra belly fats places strain on your stomach, pushing gastric juices up into your esophagus. “Lose weight if you’re obese, and don’t advantage weight in case you’re now not,” he says.
2. Avoid ingredients recognized to motive reflux. If you are at chance for GERD, avoid:
Acidic ingredients, like tomatoes and citrus
Coffee or any caffeinated beverage
3. Eat smaller meals. Large food fill the stomach and placed pressure at the LES, making reflux and GERD more likely.
4. Don’t lie down after consuming. Wait at the least 3 hours before you lie down after a meal. Gravity typically enables hold acid reflux from developing. When you consume a meal after which stretch out for a snooze, you take gravity out of the equation. As a result, acid more without problems presses in opposition to the LES and flows into the esophagus.
5. Elevate your mattress. Raising the pinnacle of your bed six to 8 inches can help gravity maintain gastric acid down in your stomach. You may also use a wedge-fashioned aid. Don’t use more pillows, as they best increase your head and could not help with GERD. You need your complete upper frame extended to get comfort.
6. Review your medications. There are a number of medicinal drugs which could increase your threat of GERD, either by way of relaxing the LES, interfering with the digestive procedure, or similarly irritating an already infected esophagus. These medications include:
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, or NSAIDs
Calcium channel blockers (frequently used to treat excessive blood strain)
Certain bronchial asthma medicines, along with beta-agonists like albuterol
Anticholinergics, medicines used to treat situations inclusive of seasonal hypersensitive reactions and glaucoma
Bisphosphonates, used to enhance bone density
Sedatives and painkillers
If you’re taking any of those medicines, talk in your health practitioner approximately switching to any other drug that doesn’t have the equal impact on the upper digestive tract. However, never prevent taking a prescribed medication with out first consulting your doctor.